Thursday, August 28, 2014

Final farewell

August 27th, 2014

Hermana Makin  said some tearful goodbyes at home on Wednesday, August 27th and then her parents and sister Jessica (me) drove her to the MTC (missionary training center) in Provo. As we drove there I tried to lighten the silence and asked if she wanted to sing a song. She said "No, a song will make me cry". So trying to be funny, I started singing "Give Said The Little Stream"--a light-hearted children's song about giving and it's the stream that's singing so not a sad song! As I sang though I realized how fitting the words were for the situation:

"Give," said the little stream,
"Give, oh! give, give, oh! give."
"Give," said the little stream,
As it hurried down the hill;
"I'm small, I know, but wherever I go
The fields grow greener still."

"I'm TALL, I know!" I sang out, "but wherever I go the fields grow greener still". I started thinking, no matter our size, limitations, or abilities, we can make things "greener" as we "give" to others; giving service, our time, and ourselves. Just as the stream provided the necessary water for the fields, so will she be able to share the "Living Waters" with the people of Chile or wherever she may be. The scriptures use the symbolism of water: "The fountain of living waters...(are) a representation of the love of God." (Book of Mormon; 1 NE 11:25) What a beautiful blessing, to be able to share God's love with others! And because He loves us so much, He has a plan for us and has provided a Savior that we may all return to live with Him someday.

She hugged her mom, her sister (me), and then her dad. And then just like that the "Host" Elder Missionary grabbed one of her oversized bags and they started walking down the sidewalk. As she turned to leave I witnessed a complete change in her countenance. She was beaming, she seemed completely at peace, and there was no sense of fear or apprehension about what she had chosen to do.

As she hurried away I called out: "CIARA! SMILE!" and then snapped this picture:




My parting words: "Love you Cici! I mean SISTER Cici!" She smiled and walked away.

We will be looking forward to our first update about life in the MTC!

P.S. Later I remembered the last verse to "Give Said The Little Stream":

Give, then, as Jesus gives,
Give, oh! give, give, oh! give.
Give, then, as Jesus gives;
There is something all can give.
Do as the streams and blossoms do:
For God and others live.

Singing, singing all the day,
"Give away, oh! give away."
Singing, singing all the day,
"Give, oh! give away."





1 comment:

  1. We love you Sister (aunt) CiCi. We are grateful for your example and can't wait to hear all of your updates! Love you, JJCBBB Makin <3

    ReplyDelete